On completion of training graduates will possess the competencies and skills required to:
- Establish a plant nursery
- Propagate plants
- Establish outdoor garden hedges
- Install a landscape
- Maintain lawns
- Apply chemicals and fertilisers
- Harvest and post harvest crops
- Perform preventative maintenance on tools
- Practise occupational health and safety principles when using chemical and agricultural equipment.
Latest Course Information
Jul 18, 2011Duration:9 Months
Day(s):Monday - Friday
Time:8:00am - 4:00pm
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are a few FAQs pertaining to this programme or course:
- What are the class hours for the Skills Training Programme?
Classes are conducted from 8:00 am until 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday, with the exception of Computer Applications classes which are conducted from 8:30 am – 11:30 am or 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm.
- How often are programmes offered?
Classes are offered two or three times annually depending on the trade.
- Can I work and attend STP?
No. Skills Training programmes cater to unemployed persons. The Board also conducts Evening programmes which cater to employed persons.
This course is held at the following training centre(s):
C. Lomer Alleyne Skills Training Centre
The CLA centre is where most of the Board’s Evening programmes are held. It is known for its Agricultural and Engineering programmes. CLA is the BVTB’s largest centre and it continues to be expanded.
Going to the Barbados Vocational Training Board to sign up for a Plumbing course, was one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life. I always thought you had to be a teenager or in your early twenties, to be able to sign up for training or even to be considered, to do an apprenticeship. But five years later, I am living proof that it is never too late to change careers completely. I am now self-employed and operating my own plumbing company; I’m never out of work.
Managing Director, CJM Plumbing Services